Once you have settled on the right size self-storage unit, you will need to find the best ways to get your items ready to store. These are our best five tips to help you make the most of the space you have. If you have additional questions, contact Spaceman Storage at 562-696-3924 for answers.
- Plan Ahead Yes, this may seem obvious but it is the most important part of this list. One of the most important things you will do when you pack your self-storage unit is make sure that the items you are more likely to get out are at the front of your storage unit. This will save you a lot of time and headache in the future.
- Install Shelves If you have many smaller items to be stored, or many smaller boxes, then installing shelving can be a good idea. It will help you make the most of the vertical space. If you try to stack boxes on top of each other, eventually they are going to crumble under the weight of the boxes above them. Instead, install shelving so that it can handle the weight of the boxes without worry of breakage or injury.
- Line Your Walls The first step is to line your possession along the outer wall of your storage unit. This is a huge benefit as it starts opening open. Then leave aisles clear between rows so that you can still access everything. Most people, if they do not plan ahead, will start by lining boxes along the back of the unit and continue forward. They then don’t notice until they are halfway done that they can no longer access what’s in the back.
- Don’t Forget to Pack Up If you have large furniture to store, such as a couch, bed frame, or dresser, make sure that you are packing them in such a way that they are using vertical space. By standing these items up on their ends, you are utilizing as much vertical space as possible – which leaves more overall space for you to use. However, make sure that you are doing this smartly. If you have larger, heavier things, be sure that they are not being stored on top of smaller, lighter, and more fragile things. Once again, this is where shelves come in handy.
- Keep Your Furniture Protected The way you choose to store and protect your furniture is important. First, wrap your furniture. IF you add a slip cover to sofas and other soft furniture, they will stay cleaner and free of dust. Once it is covered, you can store light-weight items on it to use vertical space.
At Spaceman Storage we offer a wide range of storage sizes and options to ensure every client gets just what they want. Call us now at 562-696-3924 to learn more.